Okay, as usual, over eager, and over excited Photographer “Me” didn’t take “before” shots of our master bedroom. So here’s the single photo from when the house was listed for sale:
See the cream? The whole darn place was cream. Cream walls, cream doors, cream toilet seat, cream bath tub, cream carpet, cream door knobs, cream tiles, cream countertop. (see note here).
If you’ve been reading my blog you’ll know I am totally inspired by Carrie Bradshaw’s new bedroom makeover on the yet-to-be-watched Sex and the City Movie (yeah yeah, I’m not ready to watch it yet – still catching up on previous eps).
So the cream in that bedroom was gone with a crazed fervour and in only three days. Although I had talked about a blue-gold scheme previously, I really needed something starkly different… living in cream rentals for over 20 years will do that to you…
Since we don’t have Benjamin Moore here, I tried to match it with Haymes Paint. It turned out much bluer than the SATC diva’s bedroom (our blue is “Boy’s Room Blue” according to husband). The boldness unsettled us for a few days, but armed with Rachel Ashwell’s inspired statement, I decided to live with it for a few days. I worked with it… and I am kinda happy with the result:
I really like how the bedroom is now. The white and honey furniture pieces against the blue wall really work. I chose plain white lampshades to go with my thrifted lamp bases because it didn’t need more pattern with the rather busy bedspread.
I found these prints in a vintage shop for $15. So it was a good score. The frame in the middle is not identical to the other two but it works as a trio so well.
I’m not the type to sit down at a vanity desk or dressing table so I grabbed my little ex-craft cupboard to store my precious little pieces and jewellery and hair accessories.
Still more to be done: (in following order or so…)
Short Term Plan for our Master Bedroom:
1. Complete behind bed project
2. Chandelier painted white gloss.
3. Replace teal bedside tables with something else
4. All doors and window trims painted bright white gloss.
5. Ceiling and architraves repainted white low sheen.
Long Term Plan for our Master Bedroom:
6. Ripping out tiles and putting down more carpet: for now, I think a rug.
7. Ripping out bathroom countertop and vanity and mirrors and adding those features (different styles of course!) into the ensuite. Space will be a small sitting area.
8. Ensuite is currently not used (we keep our luggage there!) because there are damp and leaks. Renovation!